The Office of Language Access (OLA) provides centralized oversight, coordination, and technical assistance to State agencies (the executive, legislative and judicial branches of Hawai‘i’s state government) and organizations that receive state funding, regarding the implementation requirements of Hawai‘i’s Language Access Law.
The goal of the OLA is to ensure that no person is denied access to State or State-funded services due to their limited ability to speak, read, write or understand the English language.
- Court Interpreter Workshop 2014 with Holly Mikkelson, Associate Professor, Monterey Institute of International Studies. December 5 & 6, 2014, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Campus Center Ballroom. Court Interpreter Workshop – Dec 5 and 6 – Agenda
- State Language Access Coordinators Quarterly Meeting – Wednesday, November 26, 2014 @ 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 Noon, 830 Punchbowl Street, Room 320, Director’s Conference room, Department of Labor & Industrial Relations, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813.
- Language Access Advisory Council Meeting, Wednesday, November 12, 2014 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. 830 Punchbowl Street, Room 320, Director’s Conference room, Department of Labor & Industrial Relations, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813.
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter, Fall 2014 Edition.
- U.S. FEDERAL LANGUAGE ACCESS LAW AGENCY COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP – presented by Bruce Adelson, CEO, Federal Compliance Consulting, LLC, October 22-23, 2014, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. at Queen’s Conference Center, Queen’s Medical Center, 510 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu, HI 96813. The Queeen’s Conference Center will validate your parking ticket $5.00 per day, for first 75, POB I & II. (Physician’s Office Building) QMC MAP attached. Two day program agenda. Federal Language Access Law Compliance Workshop Flyer
- Hawaii’s Language Access Law: Parallels with Federal Law- Rebecca Gardner
- Governor’s Message No. 1320 – Relating to Language Access ACT 217 (13) Establishes and provides appropriations for a Statewide Language Access Resource Center and Multilingual Website Pilot Project to be administered by the Office of Language Access. Effective July 1, 2013.
- Governor’s message no. 1304 – Relating to the Office of Language Access ACT 201 (12) Transferring the Office of Language Access along with its functions and duties from the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations to the Department of Health.