The Office of Language Access (OLA) provides centralized oversight, coordination, and technical assistance to State agencies (the executive, legislative and judicial branches of Hawai‘i’s state government) and organizations that receive state funding, regarding the implementation requirements of Hawai‘i’s Language Access Law.
The goal of the OLA is to ensure that no person is denied access to State or State-funded services due to their limited ability to speak, read, write or understand the English language.
- State Language Access Coordinators Meeting, Wednesday, August 27, 2014 @ 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, Director’s Conference room 320, third floor, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations (DLIR) 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter Summer Issue 2014
- Save the Date OLA Conference Flyer - 7th Annual Hawaiʻi Conference on Language Access, ʻIke ʻĀina – Language Access and Cultural Literacy, August 6-7, 2014 , 7:45 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. two-day conference at Neal S. Blaisdell Center, in Honolulu.
- August 8, 2014 – Workshop on Cultural Competency, all day, CR 2, William S. Richardson School of Law, UH Mānoa campus. We are sorry that the Cultural Competency Workshop had to be cancelled due to the threat of Hurricane Iselle. We hope to reschedule this workshop at some future date.
- Conference Program
- Language Access Advisory Council Meeting - Wednesday, July 09, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Director’s Conference Room 320, third floor, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813.
- Language Access Advisory Council Meeting - Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Director’s Conference Room 320, third floor, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813.
- Governor’s Message No. 1320 - Relating to Language Access ACT 217 (13) Establishes and provides appropriations for a Statewide Language Access Resource Center and Multilingual Website Pilot Project to be administered by the Office of Language Access. Effective July 1, 2013.
- Governor’s message no. 1304 - Relating to the Office of Language Access ACT 201 (12) Transferring the Office of Language Access along with its functions and duties from the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations to the Department of Health.