Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)
There are numerous job opportunities that can be found here in Hawai‘i. However, due to varying circumstances, not everyone has the same chance to find and develop their personal careers. The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) Program provides significant tax credit incentives to hire new employees that are from target groups identified by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Employers can hire eligible employees from the following target groups for WOTC.
- Unemployed Veterans (including disabled veterans)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Recipients
- Food Stamp (SNAP) Recipients
- Designated Community Residents (living in Empowerment Zones or Rural Renewal Counties) *None in Hawaii
- Vocational Rehabilitation Referred Individuals
- Supplemental Security Income Recipients
- Summer Youth Employees (living in Empowerment Zones)
- Qualified Long-Term Unemployment Recipient
Click here for a chart on the certification criteria for the WOTC target groups.
What Kinds of New Hires are Ineligible for WOTC Tax Credits?
The following is a list of new hires who are ineligible for your company to receive WOTC tax credits.
- Relatives and dependents of employers
- Majority owners of the employer, and
- Former employees
Inquiries into WOTC can be made to Honolulu Office, Workforce Development Division (call 808-586-8700 or email email@example.com).
To visit the Federal Department of Labor’s site on WOTC, click HERE.