Child Labor

Under the Hawaii Child Labor Law, a child labor certificate or “work permit” is required for working minors until they reach 18 years of age.  There is no charge for the certificate, and we will generally issue a certificate as long as: (1) the minor is not legally required to be in school, and (2) the minor’s employment is not hazardous.  There are two types of certificates, depending upon the age of the minor.  The procedures to obtain these certificates are explained below.

Certificate of Employment (for 14- and 15-year-old minors)

When a 14- or 15-year-old minor is hired, the employer is required to obtain a Certificate of Employment before the minor starts working.  For the certificate to be issued, either the employer or the minor or other representative may assist in the following:

  1. Obtain an Application for Minor’s Certificate of Employment (form CL-1) from a DLIR Child Labor Office, or on the department’s website at This application must be completed and signed by the employer and a parent or guardian of the minor.
  2. Return the completed application, with an *acceptable proof of age document, either in person or by mail.  You may FAX the application, but the original application must be returned to the nearest DLIR Child Labor Office for a certificate to be issued.  If the hours of work are approved and the work is not hazardous or prohibited, a temporary authorization slip will be issued, and a Certificate of Employment will be mailed to the employer.  The minor may start working upon receipt of either a temporary authorization slip or the Certificate of Employment.
  3. If the minor works for a new employer or in a new occupation, this same procedure must be followed again.


Minors 14 and 15 years of age may work:

  1. Not more than 3 hours per day on a school day, and 8 hours per day on a non-school day.
  2. During a school week, not more than 18 hours per week.  During a non-school week, not more than 40 hours per week.
  3. On school days and the day before a school day: Between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.  On non-school days and the day before a non-school day: Between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
  4. Not more than 6 consecutive days, and 5 consecutive hours without at least a 30-minute rest or meal period.


*Acceptable Proof of Age:
•Birth Certificate
•Hawaii driver’s license or driver’s permit
•State of Hawaii ID
•Military ID
•Immigration record (alien card, passport, visa)
•Hospital record
•School record (NOT school ID)
•Court record
•Baptismal certificate
NOTE:  A social security card is NOT an acceptable proof of age document.


Certificate of Age (for 16- and 17-year-old minors)


The Certificate of Age (eCL-3) is valid only when accompanied by an approved proof of age document, which are both presented to the employer at the time of hire.  No promise of a job is needed to obtain this certificate. The minor will be issued a Certificate of Age to use until age 18.

There are no restrictions on hours except when the minor is required to be in school. When the minor is hired, the employer is required to: (1) verify the minor’s name and birth date on the Certificate of Age with the proof of age document; (2) record the Certificate of Age number; and (3) return the Certificate of Age and proof of age document to the minor.


Notice Regarding Compliance With Both State and Federal Child Labor Laws

Employers are generally subject to both:  1) Chapter 390, Hawaii Revised Statutes, Child Labor Law and Title 12, Chapter 25, Hawaii Administrative Rules; and 2) federal child labor provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), 29 U.S.C. 212(c), and the FLSA regulations at 29 CFR Part 570.  Certain provisions of the Hawaii Child Labor Law may be less restrictive than federal law, and employers covered by the FLSA that only follow a less restrictive provision of the Hawaii Child Labor Law will be in violation of federal law.  See 29 U.S.C. 218(a).  For more information on the federal child labor law, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division website at


Theatrical Employment

A minor under 14 years of age may be employed or permitted to work in theatrical employment (model, dancer, singer, musician, entertainer, motion picture, television, radio or theatrical performer) under circumstances and conditions prescribed by the Director of the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. [§12-25-22, 12-25-23, and 12-25-24, Hawaii Administrative Rules].

For a summary of the Theatrical Employment requirements under the Hawaii Child Labor Law, see eHCLL-3.


Child Labor Offices:

Individuals may contact the Wage Standards Division on Oahu or the nearest DLIR district office, either by phone, mail, or in person at the phone numbers and locations listed under “Contact” for information.

Email:  [email protected]