Boilers / Elevators / Amusement Rides
Act 103 (SLH, 2012) updated fees for elevators and kindred equipment. To see the updated fee schedule, click here.
The Boiler and Elevator Safety Law is intended to provide for the safe operation and use of boilers, pressure systems, amusement rides, and elevators and kindred equipment in the state of Hawai`i. It is administered through the Boiler and Elevator Inspection Branch of HIOSH.
Like the Occupational Safety and Health part of HIOSH, standards are adopted and enforced through compliance inspections and investigations. Permits to operate are issued regarding any boiler, pressure system, amusement ride, or elevator and kindred equipment if found to be safe in accordance with these standards. In addition, Branch staff reviews and approves plans for new installation, repairs, or modification of equipment covered by this Law.
If you own or manage a building and need to install, repair, alter or relocate boiler and pressure systems or to install, construct, alter, or modernize any elevator or kindred equipment, forms for permits are available below.
Boilers and Pressure Vessels
- For boiler forms, please click here.
- Boiler and Pressure System Fees
- Standards (Administrative Rules)
- Safety Tips
Elevators and Kindred Equipment
- Elevator Inspection Request Form
- Elevator Out of Service Certification
- Application for New Installation Permit
- Online Application process for New Installation Permits (effective August 6, 2013). To submit an application for installation of new elevators and kindred equipment on or after August 6, 2013, please click here. (Note: Applications by mail or in person will not be accepted as of this date.)
- Application for Installation/Alteration Permit
- Personnel Hoist Installation Permit Application
- Inventory of Elevators, By Counties [Honolulu, Maui, Hawaii, Kauai] (Excel)
NOTE: To use the Inventory Excel file, select the island or county that you are interested in, then select the drop down menu on the desired column heading, e.g. if you want to look at a specific building or location, click on the drop down menu for “Location Name”. If you want to look for all the elevators serviced by a specific company, click the drop down menu for “Svc”.
This is an inventory of all recorded elevator and related units located within the State of Hawai`i. It includes data that is public information.
If you are a building owner/manager or elevator service company and wish to make corrections or revisions to data in the inventory, please fax your corrections and revisions in writing to the Boiler & Elevator Inspection Branch [Fax: 808-586-9150]. Changes will be reflected in updates.
To obtain an electronic version of this inventory, please submit your written request on company letterhead, include your email address, and fax it to 808-586-9150.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities International
- National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Contact Information (Email)
PLEASE NOTE: EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2013, THE BOILER & ELEVATOR INSPECTION BRANCH WILL DISCONTINUE USE OF THE EMAIL ADDRESS [email protected]. PLEASE CONTACT THE APPROPRIATE BOILER OR ELEVATOR SECTION USING THE DEDICATED EMAIL ADDRESSES LISTED ABOVE.